The Ruby Holland Foundation Annual Music Competition is an international competition offering aspiring musicians from around the world, the opportunity to show case their talents and skills on a nurturing and virtual platform, where coaching and mentorship are of paramount importance. RHFA has 3 Divisions: Junior - ages 15 and under; Young Artist – ages 16 to 22; Virtuoso – ages 23 to 30. Instrument categories: piano, violin, viola, fiddle, cello, guitar, ukulele, flute, oboe voice, drums and steelpan. Chamber and music ensembles of trios, and quartets Each candidate is given a fair chance to compete under the guidance of an internationally renowned panel of judges. Winners receive Cash Awards ranging from $50USD, to the top $500USD, PLUS the Foundation’s Medal of Excellence. All applicants are encouraged to attend the Foundation’s Annual Fundraiser Gala Event, the third weekend, month of October. This event is held in Orlando, Florida.
Elizabeth Fullington – Artist Engagement
- Each First Prize winner in conjunction with the monetary award will also receive the foundation’s Ahtram Ybur Certificate of Distinction. This is the foundation's most prestigious Laureate Award.
Ahtram Ybur symbolizes strength, wisdom, creativity, perseverance, and vision
Each First Prize Winner will be invited to perform the ‘OPENING NUMBER’ on the concert program for the Foundation’s Annual Fundraiser Concert
- The TOP 3 Winners, plus 4th and 5th places (honourable mention winners) for each competition category will be invited to a special virtual master class session with professors from the Juror Panel.
- All competitors will be automatically recognized on the Foundation’s Website.
- It is the position of the Foundation that each applicant is a winner in his/her art choice, therefore, all competitors will be invited to attend the Annual Foundation Concert event. Attendance is encouraged but not mandatory, and all who attend can enter for a BONANZA drawing to be the student guest of the foundation to attend an internationally famous music festival for 1 week. The winner will be invited to attend all festival masterclasses and concerts.
The BONANZA WINNER is responsible for their own airfare, local transportation, spending money and meals. Accommodation and the cost of a one-day sightseeing ticket will be covered by the foundation.
JUNIOR DIVISION (Ages 15 years old and under)
1st Place – $100 cash prize, plus Medal of Excellence
2nd Place – $75 cash prize, plus Award Ribbon
3rd Place – $50 cash prize, plus Award Ribbon
YOUNG ARTIST (16 years old to 22)
1st Place – $300 cash prize, plus Medal of Excellence
2nd Place – $100 cash prize, plus Award Ribbon
3rd Place – $50 cash prize, plus Award Ribbon
VIRTUOSO (23 years old to 30)
1st Place – $500 cash prize ‘Plus Medal of Excellence
2nd Place – $100 cash prize plus Award Ribbon
3rd Place – $75 cash prize plus Award Ribbon
** Honorable Mention plus Ribbon 4th and 5th places
NOTE: US Residents: Young Artist and Virtuoso Competitors must file a W-9 to receive prize money. Non US Residents: Other tax rules may apply in your jurisdiction.
NO EXCEPTIONS ARE MADE ON DEADLINES WITH RECEIPT OF MATERIALS. QUESTIONS MAY BE DIRECTED TO: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instrument categories are piano, violin, viola, fiddle, cello, guitar, ukulele, flute, oboe voice, drums and steelpan.
- Participants in the Junior Division – must be 15 and under, but not have reached their 16th birthday by January 30th, current year of application.
- Participants in the Young Artist Division must be at least 16 years old but not have reached their 22nd birthday by January 30th, current year of application.
- Participants in the Virtuoso Musician must be at least 23 years old but not have reached their 31st birthday by January 30th, current year of application.
- Additional questions about eligibility, please contact Competition@RubyHollandFoundation.org.
- Prior 1st Place Competition winners in any division or category of the music competition cannot apply.
- The foundation acknowledges the effects of our current conditions with the Covid pandemic where many are adjusting to virtual music sessions. In order to give everyone a fair chance to participate, we have adjusted the deadline.
- Incomplete applications will disqualify the applicant from being considered.
- Application Deadline: Februrary 24th
- Winner’s Announced: Mid Month of July
- Grand Gala Recognition and Performance last weekend, Month of October year of competition
Online Application Requirements
- Video audition – please refer to the audition repertoire requirements
- Current copy of biography
- Repertoire list – 2 contrasting pieces ONLY
- Please choose repertoire that is well prepared and that shows your highest level of technique and musicality
- High Resolution headshot required. Minimum 300 dpi. (Professional photography not required)
- Total duration of Video Recordings:
- a. JUNIOR: 6 minutes – not to exceed 8 minutes
- b. YOUNG ARTIST: 8 minutes – not to exceed 10 minutes
- c. VIRTUOSO: 10 minutes not to exceed 15 minutes
- iPhone videos are accepted as long as the audio and video are clear
- $35 Registration Fee
(See below video submission guides for RHFA Music Competition)
Terms and Conditions
By signing this application, I fully accept and agree to the following: I have read and agreed to the Ruby Holland Foundation (RHFA) Music Competition Terms and Conditions, deadlines and policies. I confirm that I would like to participate in the Ruby Holland Foundation Music Competition, but that acceptance is at the discretion of RHFA.
I understand that the information in this application is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and that the audition recording submitted with the application is my own unedited performance. I also understand that applicants are required to follow the competition’s regulations, RHFA reserves the right to terminate applicant from participation in the competition due to violation of RHFA regulations and there will be no refund of fees paid. Applicants are expected to adhere to basic standards of honesty and character. Plagiarism, dishonesty and cheating in RHFA music competitions are prohibited and will result in terminating the applicant’s participation.I understand that registration fee is due at the time registration is submitted. Registration fees are non-refundable.
I release RHFA, and its agents and employees, from all claims, demands, and causes of action because of any injury, illness, or loss which may occur during my participation in the music competition. RHFA is not responsible for safeguard of the instruments or personal objects. By registering for the RHFA music competition, I acknowledge that I grant permission to the RHFA to use any photograph or video containing my likeness. Such images may be used for promotional, news, research or educational purposes. I agree to all statements made above.